Legendary Pictures will be bringing Godzilla back to the big screen with a release aiming for 2012. The film will reportedly be in 3-D, and a T-shirt was handed out at Comic-con with concept art for the Godzilla’s new look (picture on the left). Nothing else has been heard about the film since.
Producer Brian Rogers spoke at the 3-D summit this year, and gave a few details on the film (via Bleeding Cool):
- The project’s origin as a 3D IMAX movie
- How he realigned the concept as a wide-release for digital 3D as back as 2007
- That Legendary want to homage the traditional Godzilla character (perhaps more properly, Gojira) and not make “the same decisions” as the last US Godzilla picture
- So, that means no Iguana-style anatomy
- The project compares to Batman Begins
- Despite rumours to the contrary, this sculpture has nothing to do with the film. (see Here)
- There’s going to be another monster, or monsters, that Godzilla will fight. Not having this goes against the “spirit of the character”.
I am disappointed (but not surprised) to hear that Godzilla will be completely CG. I do find suitmation to be superior and more realistic than any CG creation could ever be. It’s good to know that LP will be taking this film seriously, and not give us a repeat of the nightmare Roland Emmerich gave us in 1998. What I’m concerned about is the inclusion of another monster. I think it would be best if this film served as a solo film for Godzilla, and add another monster for a sequel. It also brings into question what monster it will be. If this film traces back to Banno’s IMAX film (which was basically a remake of ‘Godzilla vs. Hedorah’), does that mean they’ll be using his concept for the film?
Only time will tell.
The untitled Godzilla reboot is scheduled for a 2012 release.